ceiling light with two sets of wires
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
paterson_n
Labourer
Labourer

ceiling light with two sets of wires

by paterson_n » Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:27 pm

I am replacing the ceiling lights in my living room. There are two lights which lead to one switch. The far away light was easy to wire however the other light has wires coming from both the other light and the swith giving me two live, two earth and two neutral. I am unsure how to proceed as every way I have tried the far away light continues to go on but the one in question is dead.

ericmark

by ericmark » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:01 am

I have tried to work out what your problem is but can't quite work out the question if it is two cables going to one switch then I would assume a two way switch but if two cables going to one lights then standard ceiling rose method of using rose as a junction box, or is it two lights off one switch?
I did try to explain to someone before how lights worked and put this http://www.ericpalmer.fsnet.co.uk/Lighting.html on my web site may be it will help you. There is also more in projects area which may help.
Eric

paterson_n
Labourer
Labourer

by paterson_n » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:59 am

Its two cables going to one light but I'm unsure how to wire up the light as there isn't room for two wires in each space. You mention using the light as a junction box but I'm unsure how this would work.

ericmark

by ericmark » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:13 am

Not being able to see the light I am guessing but often they use what we refer to as choc block a nylon connection strip and I have in the past had to replace these for a larger size. For example http://www.screwfix.com/prods/91280/Ele ... Pack-of-10 in screwfix maybe you need to change this?

paterson_n
Labourer
Labourer

by paterson_n » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:15 pm

I have one of those spare but am unsure what order the wires should go in. Do they all go on one side as per the light fitting I removed because I tried this before and only got power to the other light in the ceiling(1).
0___________0__________*

1 2 3

1 = light which is wired and working
2 = light with problem - 1 wire coming from 1 and one from 3
3 = light switch

Don't know if this is of any help but I can't find diagrams for this set up anywhere.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:30 am