ceiling lights not working!
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
alecc
Labourer
Labourer

ceiling lights not working!

by alecc » Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:12 pm

I have ceiling lights which are controlled by a dimmer switch. One row is not working (apparently no power). Is the most likely problem a faulty/broken resister, or is there likely to be another common fault. if that is the case is it a relatively easy to replace?

Sara H
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Sara H » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:38 pm

Easiest way to check if its the dimmer at fault. With isolation in place and circuits proved dead with a proving unit. Swap the light circuit switch feeds over within the dimmer unit. Power up and try your lights, if the dimmer is faulty then the lights that were working should not be working and the ones that were not working should now operate on the one working switch. If however the situation with the lights remains as though the circuits were never changed then you will need to start checking your feeds to your lights.

For now try the simple remedy if that doesn't work come back and we can take it from there.

HTH

Sara

alecc
Labourer
Labourer

by alecc » Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:10 am

thanks, the one dimmer feeds all the lights. So if the dimmer was faulty then it would effect all the lights, correct? So if the dimmer is working then a transformer may be at fault or i guess just some loose wiring. If that is the case then it would seem the only option for me is to take up the flooring above the lighting to get access!

ericmark

by ericmark » Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:18 am

Often the transformers will fit through the hole for the lights.
Do turn off all power before sticking hand in void in case problem is lose wire.
Also transformers or inverters are often matched to dimmer switch there are leading and lagging types do ensure they match when replacing.
Eric

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:06 am