Ceiling Rose
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
palison
Labourer
Labourer

Ceiling Rose

by palison » Sat May 12, 2007 4:52 pm

I have looked at the projects page,and think I understand the position when you have 3 sets of wires. I took off my old rose (without labelling the wires) and I have 4 sets of wires coming from the ceiling. The earths are connected to each other (2-2) and I recollect that 3 of the reds were connected together, but not to the light fitting itself. The new light fitting only requires one live and one neutral to be connected. What next?

Arnak
Tradesman
Tradesman

Fitting a rose

by Arnak » Sun May 13, 2007 11:11 am

Hi,

Lighting is often wired on the loop in system.

This means that usually all the neutrals are wired together as are all the earths.

The live wires can be as follows :-

1. Live in, often from a previous light.

2. from the live in back to the switch.

3. Back from the switch to the light, this is the switched live that goes to the bulb connection only.

4. A live that is taken to the next light fitting in the series.

So you could expect to have 3 lives together in the pattress connection and 1 live from the switch in a separate connection with the live to the bulb.

The bulb neutral is taken to the all the neutrals connection.

Best way to find out which is which is to use a multi meter.

First find which red is always live.

Then with the power OFF, connect the meter on the ohms range and see which pair of wires give a straight through reading through the switch.

Have someone turn the switch on and off to confirm.

If that is all ok the remaining red is the loop supply to the next fitting.

I hope that makes sense?

Remember if in doubt call in an electrician, just to be on the safe side as ceiling wiring can be a bit tricky if the conventions have not been followed.

Especially when a bodger has used a neutral wire as the return feed from the switch.... YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Arnak

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:00 am