Ceiling Rose to 3 Term Block
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kylednnis
Labourer
Labourer

Ceiling Rose to 3 Term Block

by kylednnis » Thu May 10, 2007 3:35 pm

Hi,

I have just removed the cover from a ceiling rose to replace it with a new light fitting. the fitting uses a 3 term block to connect to the mains but the rose seems to have a mass of wires i've not seen before.

3 black 4 red 2 earth and a yellow wire with a red sleeve. any suggestions on how I would wire these into the new block?

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Thu May 10, 2007 8:16 pm

HI, unusual combination of colours there!
if you have a yellow then it is part of a 3core & earth cable, which will also have a blue core.
do you have more than one switch in the room ie a double doing say 2 ceiling lights or 1 ceiling plus wall lights? If so there will be a three core +E from sw. red live to switches then yellow from 1 sw. to light 1, plus blue to light(s) 2, linked at your fitting. If you look closely at connections in rose you will see some blacks together going to blue of flex, a yellow or blue going to brown of flex , some reds looped together in centre part of rose not connecting to flex at all, also not enough earths for number of cables. Be very careful not to disturb connections before notng how connected, see also Projects, light replacement, if still less than 100% sure 'Get Someone In' it's cheaper than paying to put mistakes right, Regards SPARX

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:19 am