Ceiling Rose Wiring
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Pjay
Labourer
Labourer

Ceiling Rose Wiring

by Pjay » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:35 pm

OK, have just changed my rose fittings to accomadate heavier lamps and stupidly :oops: did not mark any of the wires thinking it was a simple case of red went to red etc. So, is there an easy way I can tell which one of the 3 identical wires goes to where or is it a case of trying all combinations. for the mean time I've lost all lighting to living room, dining room and kitchen. The other half is not impressed :roll: so all help will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance. Pj

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Ceiling Rose Wiring

by BLAKEY1963 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:29 am

[quote="Pjay"]OK, have just changed my rose fittings to accomadate heavier lamps and stupidly :oops: did not mark any of the wires thinking it was a simple case of red went to red etc. So, is there an easy way I can tell which one of the 3 identical wires goes to where or is it a case of trying all combinations. for the mean time I've lost all lighting to living room, dining room and kitchen. The other half is not impressed :roll: so all help will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance. Pj[/quote]

Pjay
have u tried doc s lighting projects . there r diagrams 2 advise.

BLAKEY1963

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:29 pm

Hi, Pjay,
do you have any kind of test equipment? even a battery and bulb would do!
you need to find which of the 3 cables goes to your switch & mark the black from that cable with red tape as it is the sw, live to your fitting,
the other 2 blks go together as Neutral in & out to next light,& connect to N of fitting,
the 3 reds go together in a spare term block as they are Live in, L out to next fitting & L down to sw.
as Blakey says 'project' section shows connections in colour, regards SPARX

Pjay
Labourer
Labourer

by Pjay » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:42 pm

Thanks for all the help guys..... But still can not quite get my head around this one :? , I have a Gunson's pocketmeter but have only used it for 12v leisure battery stuff so far and don't really know what to look for with regards to V's. SO, have used a bulb to figure out which red and black of the three are live and all good so far but when I come to wire it all up... NOTHING??? does it matter which way round the other two are wired in? Give me a VW engine any time but three wires!?!?!?! :roll:
Pj

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:48 pm

Hi agn PJay,
on your gunson it should have a range for continuity marked in ohms, on it if you keep leads apart it reads high end of scale & with leads touching it reads low, almost zero resistance.
With mains OFF to lights seperate three sets of cables [red, blk,earth]X3.
With each red/blk pair in turn connect test leads & get 'better-half' to operate sw, one pair will change meter reading, the others won't.
When pair found MARK the blk with tape [red] this wire goes to lights Live with brn of flex, the remaining 2 blks go to lights Neutral term with blue of flex, the 3 reds go together in loop terms which connect them to each other but NOT to the light, B.W. SPARX

Pjay
Labourer
Labourer

by Pjay » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:05 pm

Right, thought I was getting somewhere there for all of 5 minutes. Thank's sparks for your explanation, it means I now know that I'm on the right track....However, (and this is where I get lost) I get a reading on my pocket meter from only 1 of the three cables (high end to nearly 0) which I assume is good :) but it makes no odds whather the switch is on or off!?! and when I wire it all up as instructed I get nothing; and to add insult to injury I get no reading at all from the second rose in the dining room. Could there be any issues elsewhere that might affect the whole circuit ie light switch. My only saving grace is that in the year since we moved in everything has worked fine (until I started to tamper :roll:) so I know it can be solved....... Many thanks for all the help so far and please keep it coming caus if I don't get it fixed soon I'm gona really be in the dog house with the 'better-half'
Pj

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:46 pm

PJay we go agn.
one of the red/blk pairs must go to sw. you need to find the blk of it, power off, disconnect sw, both wires. using connector block at sw, connect long length of wire from it's black to one meter lead, @ light touch each blk in turn, one only will cause meter to read nearly zero, this is your switch line to fittings live [Brown] flex.
other 2 blks to Neutral[blue] flex, 3 reds together in one common term block.
reconnect sw. Com, & L1 power on, BINGO! if not then may have lost connection in previous light, everyone thinks lighting is easy, Ha! Ha!
it rarely is straight forward so don't lose heart, BW SPARX

Pjay
Labourer
Labourer

by Pjay » Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:33 pm

Woo Whoo, let there be light!!! THanks so much guys.. Would love to take all the credit but alas my pops in-law turned up while I was at work and fixed it , think it might have been organised by my other half but hay ho gift horse and mouth etc..... But thanks to you guys it turns out the wireing was all correct, dimmer had blown at some point and once replaced twas all good.Did'nt even know that they could blow. Live and learn
Pj

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:11 pm