Cellar modernisation/conversion
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mattdiy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Cellar modernisation/conversion

by mattdiy » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:06 pm

Hi,

I am intending to make my cellar a usable room, it is approximately 3.5mx3.5m and has a coal shoot to which I can fit a window and use as an emergency exit, the cellar is dry.

The floor needs to be replaced and the walls will be batoned and plaster boarded.

Can anyone tell me if I need building regs approval or planning permission?

Thanks in advance.

Matt
ps Great website

arbco
Ganger
Ganger

by arbco » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:26 pm

Matt

The conversion will definately require B Regs which will cover means of escape from the room, ventilation to the room(s), insulation to the ground floor for sound, and new insulationto walls and floor, new heating and controls, and almost certianly some tanking to the walls, and dpm to the floor. You seem to suggest that this is not a habitable area at present. Speak to the LA building control dept as this may be far more work than you first thought. Also if you require a sunken area to accomodate the escape window as there will be a limitation on the hieght to the cill of 1100mm.

With regard to planning it will depend on whether the building is listed or in a conservation area and if you have to do any external work but I would suggest you check!!
Hope this helps.

mattdiy
Apprentice
Apprentice

by mattdiy » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:40 pm

Many thanks arbco

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1