Central Heating Actuator or 3 way valve problem?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Sulograss
Apprentice
Apprentice

Central Heating Actuator or 3 way valve problem?

Post by Sulograss » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:49 am

Hi Guys

I am getting both hot water and hot radiators when either just hot water or just central heating is called for.

I suspect it is one of the above.

The actuator is a Drayton BGMVSP-23 and I fortunately had a spare and have tried this to no avail leading me to think it is the three way valve?

I tried leaving the actuator off the three way valve valve spindle and manually adjusting the spindle gently with a pair of pliars and this had no effect either. Now I'm wondering just how much valve spindle movement there should be without forcing it and possibly damaging something.

The flat head valve spindle (where the actuator connects to) is currently at the 12 noon position and with pliars, with ease I can turn it anticlockwise to the 10 to 12 position. This doesnt seem like alot of movement? Should it move more? Should I apply more pliar pressure?

Any thought appreciated

Tony

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:32 pm

There is not a lot of movement between one setting and another. If you can move it with pliers, it would suggest it is working.

If you remove the valve head then it will lose any ability to control the heating so both water and heating will be on even if only hot water is selected.

Unless it is seized, normally, if the valve fails, the rads won't heat and only the hot water is heated.

There is a lever on the side of the valve that operates the gears. Do the feel smooth?

Sulograss
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Sulograss » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:23 am

Thanks Plumbob

I am unable to to move the slide on the side of the actuator between H,W and M and on the top of the valve there is a sprung lever which is permanently in the down postion.

Is this sugesting an electrical fault?

Tony

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:25 am

I forgot to mention you should try testing the lever only when the power to everything is off otherwise the lever may not move.

On a working valve, it should take one or two seconds to move the lever over using a firm pressure. The mechanics are clockwork gears so you should hear and feel the wheels turning.

If the lever won't move or can be moved freely without any force at all, the gearing is seized or broken.

Sulograss
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Sulograss » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:15 am

Thanks again Plumbbob

I now have it working properly. How? I,m not quite sure? but it was after I called for hot radiators only. Up until this point I'd just been trying for hot water only.

Maybe the 3 way valve had been stuck and calling for central heating freed it.

The only thing I need to do now is to adjust the angle that the actuator sits on its spindle at. During my fiddling with it, it seems to have changed angle and its now touching against one of the hot water pipes. Any idea on how to do this?

Tony

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:34 pm

I've just been reading your post further up.

What make of valve is it?? I didn't think any could move round unless you have put the back on the wrong way round???

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1