CENTRAL HEATING BOILER / TIMER PROBLEM
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
swills
Apprentice
Apprentice

CENTRAL HEATING BOILER / TIMER PROBLEM

by swills » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:19 pm

We have been having 'issues' with our neighbour's ch boiler, it is in their garage, but as the garage is attached to our house, thus when the bolier runs we hear quite loudly, and can keep us awake, having spoken to them recently, they have said there is nothiong they can do.

Anyway whilst talking to them about the thing running at 0130 in the morning in the summer, they said that it is "all switched off" at the timer, and indeed when i check the timer it was all to "off", they also said they are in bed by 11, but do have a bath at 1030 most nights, what i do not understand is, if it's all off at the timer, why does the bolier kick in at about 0130, sometimes 0200, runs for 20 mins then shuts of until about 0500, which is when they say it's timed to all cut in, (even this seems a tad early for my liking!)

Could there be a wiring / timer fault, and itn is this that is making the CH Bolier fire up at such an ungodly hour ?

Thnx

plastic_man77
Ganger
Ganger

by plastic_man77 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:48 am

@ swills

I'm thinking that you live next to an elderly couple, who don't necessarily hear their boiler when it's unning, but due to its location, it causes you some dismay.

Unfortunately, unless the boiler is installed contrary to manufacturer's instructions, building regulations or is causing a nuisance plume (if it a condensing boiler), then there's not much you can do about it.

The noise you are hearing will most likely be from a fan or a pump, but there could be a number of reasons for the boiler firing at the times you mentioned. The most obvious few to me would be (Depending on what type of boiler they have):
an incorrectly set or faulty frost thermostat,

an incorrectly set programmer (If it's a Worcester for instance, they don't have an "off" period, but rather an "off" thermostat. Therefore, if the off stat is set too high, when the programmer is though to be in an off period, there will still be a demand for heat, thus the boiler will still fire-up. The solution is to turn the "off" thermostat to a lower temperature).

If the boiler is a combi, most have what is called a pre-heat function, to aid hot water response. Unless this is controlled by a programmer (normally only a feature on high efficiency boilers) and is set to remain off over night, it will work as it does in the daytime.

Richard

swills
Apprentice
Apprentice

by swills » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:18 pm

Thankyou for the reply, they are not old, in fact they are in their 30's and expecting their second baby!
The Garage is sandwiched between the 2 houses, so has 2 'internal' walls as such, so not sure why it would need a frost setting ?

Last Winter was the worst tho, 2 mins on, 2 mins off right up to about 0230/0300 then either it went quiet or we were so tired we fell asleep, but getiing to sleep at 0230 and being up at 0430 for early turn is not too good

They did call the service engineer in again 2 weeks ago, who said the frost setting was high, and lowered it, since then.... so far it has been quiet, but then the weather has been good too!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1