Central Heating Connections - Push Fit
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Steve Smyth
Labourer
Labourer

Central Heating Connections - Push Fit

by Steve Smyth » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:42 pm

Hi,

I have regularly used push fit connectors on cold water plumbing jobs and now need to move some central heating piping. Am I ok to use copper push fit connectors for this, as my soldering skills are minimal.

Thanks in anticipation.

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:57 pm

If you don't fancy using compression fittings, it is ok to use copper pushfit with heating, or even normal Speedfit couplings. If you don't want to solder, why not use all plastic? It's pretty good these days. Just don't use near the boiler (for regulations) or in sight up to a radiator for example (it looks cheap DIY).

swidders
Ganger
Ganger

by swidders » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:23 am

Yep - you san even use the plastic ones, providing the water doesn't get too hot - check the packing or search online for max working temperatures.

Steve Smyth
Labourer
Labourer

by Steve Smyth » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:54 pm

Thanks for the replies. Copper push fit connections it is then.

As a matter of interest, do professional plumbers still generally solder joints together or do they use push fit connections.

If solder, why?

nitro23456
Foreman
Foreman

by nitro23456 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:22 pm

solder is a quarter of the price

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:19 pm

Soldered fittings everytime for me and most heating engineers I know. It's a permanent job, neat, never fails if cleaned and sweated properly and looks more professional (in my opinion, have said that before and upset a few people on here) - it's the only option of jointing pipes on alot of gas pipework - if you're soldering one pipe - you'd might as well do all - just as quick as any other method of jointing.

Most plumbers (bathroom and kitchen fitters) I know - use compresssion or pushfit.

In my house every fitting is soldered apart from obviously - final connections to boiler/taps/rad valves etc.

htg

Steve Smyth
Labourer
Labourer

by Steve Smyth » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:55 am

Thanks to all responses. You have all been very helpful. In view of the minimal amount of work I've got to do, push fit is my solution.

The info re why to solder was also much appreciated and clearly makes sense to use solder connections when doing a big job or doing it professionally.

I consider the topic closed. Thanks again.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1