Central heating control
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gel
Apprentice
Apprentice

Central heating control

by gel » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:52 pm

Hello
We are an elderly couple who do not go out in cold weather.
Our 4 bedroomed house is heated with a conventional boiler (not combination boiler)
The heating is controlled by a wall thermostat situated in the hall
All the radiators in the house excluding the hall are fitted with thermostatic valves
The living room is set for 21 degrees
All other rooms are set for 18 degrees
The hall wall thermostat is set at 21 to come on at 7am and to go off at 11pm when the setting is for 18 degrees
Does any one have information which would suggest that it may be more economic to set the controls for 21 degrees for 24/7 so that the boiler did not have to provide heat to return from a night time temperature to the day temperature
Or do we already have the best arrangement?
Your comments will be of great interest certainly to my and maybe to others in similar circumstances
Thank you
gel

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Central heating control

by sparx » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:29 pm

Hi,
In my opinion your night time 'set back' temp. is already too high!
Normally 16 is a more than adequate night temp. which a reasonable system will be able to raise back to day temp in a few minutes.
Unless of course you are in the habit of being up for long periods in the 'wee' small hours (Pun intended)!
regards, Mac.

gel
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Central heating control

by gel » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:14 am

[quote="sparx"]Hi,
In my opinion your night time 'set back' temp. is already too high!
Normally 16 is a more than adequate night temp. which a reasonable system will be able to raise back to day temp in a few minutes.
Unless of course you are in the habit of being up for long periods in the 'wee' small hours (Pun intended)!
regards, Mac.[/quote]
Thank you Mac and I think you are right.
However, the house (which we only moved into in September is very well insulated and the heating has not come on during the night so far this winter.
I think the 18 setting is a fall back
Thank you for your interest in my query
No we are very regular in our sleeping hours
Up at 7 bed by 11

gel

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1