Central Heating Drainage Question After Water Gushing out When Water Heater Came on
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Stands With Jugs
Labourer
Labourer

Central Heating Drainage Question After Water Gushing out When Water Heater Came on

by Stands With Jugs » Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:47 pm

Help! I've drained our central heating system (in prep for taping up a couple of radiator leaks)... all fine & I left the outlet open on the downstairs radiator I used to drain it - stopped a while ago but I left a jug there to collect any drips.

Then a wee while ago the water heater came on (timer) and at this time more water came gushing out the outlet which was still open (thankfully I left the jug there!). Manually switched the water heater off & so then got probably a few jugfuls of water out the radiator outlet before it stopped again. I thought they were two different systems? Trial & error, so manually putting the water heater on again resulted in more water out the radiator outlet. Switched it off again - but it's very hard to get useful results from Google.

The water coming out is obviously radiator water - not clean at all & so doesn't seem to be coming from the hot water tank or anything. Didn't think it'd be filling up anyway when the timer came on. Is it just somehow pushing through some remaining water from radiators/pipes? Should I let it drain this way?

Anybody got any ideas??????

Stands With Jugs
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Central Heating Drainage Question After Water Gushing out When Water Heater Came on

by Stands With Jugs » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:56 am

Just an update... I closed all the "things you'd open to bleed radiators" on all the radiators again, closed the outlet valve on the downstairs radiator I'd used to drain from & then manually put on the water heater - we needed hot water. Bit noisy. It's finished (1 hour) but now no hot water. What have I done???

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:34 pm