Central heating or not
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
stuarta
Apprentice
Apprentice

Central heating or not

by stuarta » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:39 pm

sorry, dont't know if this is the correct forum.

I live in the top story of a 2 story maisonette. This is my first property and this is now my 2nd winter here. Last January I replaced the double glazing and door as it was all rotten. I have no heating apart from an electric fire surround suite in my living room, oil filled radiator in our main bedroom and a convector one in the 2nd bedroom.

The heaters do get hot and the rooms had been getting warm, but particularly tonight, this heat seems to be disappearing. My 2nd bedroom keeps getting a damp part on the wall in the window box, so much so its wet to touch and I did dry it earlier with a hair dryer and got it dry. Hour later, its back wet again, even though the heating is on.

Similar problem in our kitchen. Even though oven was on and room was room, the walls are wet. Both this bedroom and kitchen had the trickle vents stuck open slightly which I've fixed and closed which I'm hoping might help a bit.

All the walls are cold and I'm torn between having cavity wall, correct level of loft insulation or having central heating put in. Worried that I might get heating put in and the heat would still escape like it is at the moment at which point, stopping the heat from escaping could be sufficient.

Sorry for the long post, but just like some advice on the best path to take.

Many thanks

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:48 pm

stuarta,
Start by topping up the loft insulation to at least 200mm, don't forget to insulate the tanks and pipes if you have any.
end

stuarta
Apprentice
Apprentice

by stuarta » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:20 am

ok thanks. Well I'm waiting for a surveyor to come around for Loft and Cavity under a grant, £200 for each.

Been told that I need to sort Cavity first to help warm up the walls and therefore help hold heat in and reduce condensation. Would this be correct?

I think I'll hold off on the central heating for now as I feel we are heating it ok, just obviously cold walls. The loft is insulated so might hang fire on that as well. Don't want to spend too much as only plan on being in there for another 2 or 3 years.

Is this wise?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:07 pm

stuarta,
Cavity insulation will make the walls warmer and therefore less prone to condensation. Once the walls are warmer it is a question of where condensation will form next (on the next coldest surface). I am not sure whether it will be possible to successfully insulate just the first floor walls, I suspect the installing company will want to treat the two storeys.
Suggest you see what the surveyor has to say about wall and loft insulation - where grants are concerned the installing companies do not like properties which are not straightforward eg difficult access, no easy parking, property on hillside, ground floor extensions around 2 storey house.......
end

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1