central heating/plumbing
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
chappo
Labourer
Labourer

central heating/plumbing

by chappo » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:10 pm

my appollo 30/50 boiler water pump packed in 1 month ago, a friend had a spare one in his van and offered to change it for a small fee. changed pump and heating fired up,however noticed that the hot water was discoloured when running the bath or sink. been away for a couple of days and noticed over flow running, checked loft and header tank was the culprit. ball cock was under the level of water, so shone torch into tank (water very warm??) and could see water entering the header tank through the outlet pipe!! could the central heating pump have been fitted the wrong way round??? i have to keep runing my hot water off to keep header tank level down.

Kenj
Ganger
Ganger

by Kenj » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:53 pm

A pump fitted the wrong way round could well push hot water into the C/H header tank. However, I do not think that this is your problem, as this would not explain the discoloured hot water or the header tank overfilling.
In an Indirect System such as yours, the hot water drawn from the hot taps is totally separate from the water flowing through the boiler that heats the H/W cylinder. If the water from your hot taps is dirty, then this separation has broken down, and dirty water from the boiler is mixing with clean water from the H/W cylinder.
Check that the water in your Cold Water Storage tank ( the larger of the two tanks in your loft) is clean. If it is then the only likely source of the contamination is a broken coil in your H/W cylinder. If this is the case you will need a new H/W cylinder.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1