Central heating pump size
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Viking
Apprentice
Apprentice

Central heating pump size

Post by Viking » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:15 am

Which central heating pump should I buy ?.

I have an average 3 bed semi with a traditional open vented boiler Potterton profile 50E. Eight radiators in all. Existing pump is a 15/50 5 meter head.
My loft has been converted into a 4th bedroom and a new radiator will soon be installed making 9 in all. The header tank has been re-positioned above head height in the loft.
I want to replace the ageing circulation pump but not sure if I should buy the more powerfull 15/60 with 6 meter head. Not sure exactly what this means. Can any heating engineer advise please.

Dan.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:06 am

The 15/50 will be adequate for the average heating installation, the 15/60 is required for a slightly larger system and for systems with a greater resistance for example mini-bore pipe or like yours that extra height.

The head (m) refers to the vertical height the pump will operate effectively to - before the pressure/circulating capability is reduced.

I would install the 15/60, remember to flush and add inhibitors to the system when you're finished.

Viking
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Viking » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:20 pm

Thanks for the response and advice, very much appreciated.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1