Central Heating Pump
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jon Mason
Labourer
Labourer

Central Heating Pump

by Jon Mason » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:17 am

My Central Heating Pump has stopped working when I turn the heating on it gets very hot but doesn't seem to pump the water around the system.
I have tried to remove the front of the pump but the stop cocks directly above and below the pump dont seem to be closing off thus I get water continually flowing from the Pump.
Do you have any ideas of how I can check to see if its free to turn or maybe is jammed on something internally.
As it is getting very hot I assume there is power getting to the unit!!

Many thanks

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:05 pm

Undo the screw on the motor head, insert a screwdriver - if the pump is running you will tell by the noise against the screwdriver, if it's not going tap the screwdriver with a hammer to see if you can free it.

Water continually flowing, if you turn both off (clockwise) there'll still be water in the pump - but gate type valves normally close no problem. If they are faulty, drain the system replace pump and valves.

If the pump is very hot then there probably is power there and it is probably stuck - but 'I assume there is power getting to the unit' isn't much use, if there's no power then the pump will never run, check room stat and timer are calling for heat.

Jon Mason
Labourer
Labourer

Heating System

by Jon Mason » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:08 am

Since my last problem with the central heating pump I removed the pump and got it working again but although the radiator nearest the hot water tank gets hot (which I assume is just gravity fed) the other radiators in the house dont get hot!!!!
Can you help please

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:47 pm

I guess you may have an airlock preventing the water from flowing. That is assuming the pump is really working and not still broken?? It may also be worthwhile making sure both the valves on either side of the pump are fully open. Gate valves often fail in the closed position and although the handle turns, the valve doesn't open.

You have bled all the air from the system since removing the pump??

Jon Mason
Labourer
Labourer

by Jon Mason » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:10 am

No I haven't bled the system whats the best method of doing this??

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:41 pm

Ensure all the radiators are turned on then go round each with a bleed key and release any trapped air.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:46 pm

With central heating turned off, use a vent key to open radiator vents until water is present - then close the vent.

Also, undo the screw on the head of the pump to let any air escape.

htg

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:54 pm