Central Heating - Rattling/vibrating pipes???
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
elliott111
Apprentice
Apprentice

Central Heating - Rattling/vibrating pipes???

Post by elliott111 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:40 am

Hi all,

I have noticed in the past month or so since I have turned the central heating up because of the cold that at random intervals the CH pipes under the floor seem to be making a rattling/vibrating noise?

I have a combi boiler and have been told by a plumber that you shouldn't get air locks in a combi boiler so it was not that (is this correct)?

Does anybody have any ideas what this is?

I am positive that it is the CH pipes because I can only hear it when the CH kicks in. It will happen for about 5 minutes then stop then it comes on at random intervals!!!

I also have a slight sludge problem, the radiators get very hot at the top but about 10cm up at the bottom seems to be luke warm. I live in rented accomodation (house split into upstairs/downstairs). I have 6 radiators - does anyone know of someone who flushes CH systems in the SKegness area and who aren't going to charge extortionate amounts. What sort of price should I be looked at if I wanted to go ahead and have it done? Its just I feel that the CH isn't working to its full potential and could cost me more in the long run.

All help/suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Elliott111

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:02 pm

Hi elliott111,
The pipe knocking could be the effect of the iron oxides in the system especailly if you have lived there sometime and it has only just started to happen. Sometimes they may knock if they have not been fixed/clipped and are close together as when hot water flows pipes will expand a little.
You say rented acomodation, so I assume by that your a tenant. Contact your landlord it is something they should be dealing with.
KB

carling
Labourer
Labourer

Post by carling » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:59 pm

Yes you can get air locks in a combi system i had to fix 1 today

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:21 pm

If you type the key words of your question into our search box to the left of the site you may find the answer is already posted or is in the DIY projects section of the website. Every post goes through a monitoring process and using the search box may speed up your answer.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:39 pm