Central Heating
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
nailah
Apprentice
Apprentice

Central Heating

by nailah » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:45 pm

I have had central heating installed by some one who did it as a favour, but he didnt connect the boiler... and he is saying he filled up the heating system and there were no leaks.. Is this possible if there were no water going to the radiators. Now i have had to employ some one else to sort the leaks out because this person left it half way. So far 6 leaks have come to light.!!! This guy also provided a corgi certificate with a reg nummber on it, even when he didnt complete the job.

Can anyone help.? I feel as though i have been ripped off.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:39 pm

"I have had central heating installed by some one who did it as a favour, but he didnt connect the boiler"

I'm not really sure what you mean, did he fit just the pipework and radiators ?

Did he fit the boiler ? if not there's no need to provide a CORGI certificate.

And if he fitted the boiler and the radiators why wouldn't there be any water to the radiators ?

nailah
Apprentice
Apprentice

by nailah » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:23 pm

Hi
thanks for your response. This guy fitted all the radiators (of which 3 are coming away from the walls) He did all the pipe work and put the boiler up.. But there was no electrical connection to the boiler - and there was no condenser pipe either for over flow outside. He is saying he tested the system 5 weeks ago and there were no leaks. But now i got this other guy to do all the connections.. etc and put a thermostat on. The boiler does not have a clock on it - its a worcester greenstar. Well anyway there leaks and i am having diffuiculty pinpointing them.. Any suggestions.
thanks

[quote="htg engineer"]"I have had central heating installed by some one who did it as a favour, but he didnt connect the boiler"

I'm not really sure what you mean, did he fit just the pipework and radiators ?

Did he fit the boiler ? if not there's no need to provide a CORGI certificate.

And if he fitted the boiler and the radiators why wouldn't there be any water to the radiators ?[/quote]

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:32 pm

If the boiler was not connected to the gas supply he can't offer any certification as he hasn't testd the appliance how does he know the gas pressures were correct etc ?

Also to complete the certification a thermostat and condensate discharge would have to be present.

Contact him, explain you want the work putting right - the appliance wasn't tested, the workmanship is poor (radiators coming away from walls and leaks) the installation was incomplete as it wasn't tested and the condensate discharge was missing.

If he refuses - tell him you're going to trading standards and will persue your case through a small claims court if necessary. If this doesn't shake him up - put your words into action and go to trading standards they'll be able to offer better advice.

Hope this helps

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1