Central heating won't fire up -have no heating or hot water
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
handywoman
Apprentice
Apprentice

Central heating won't fire up -have no heating or hot water

by handywoman » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:32 pm

I am looking for some advice.

I have a baxi back boiler which serves my heating and hot water. All of a sudden neither the heating system or the hot water will fire up either on the timer switch or on command.

What do you think it can be?

I had the pump replaced some 3 years ago, would the pump cause this problem and stop the system firing up?

There is a pilot light but no umfffffffffffff when you switch the heating on.

Looking forward to hearing some sound advice.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:42 pm

Gravit6y or pumped Hot Water ?

timer and boiler stat calling for heat ?
Definately on, fuse hasn't blown or anything simple first ?

If there's power to the gas valve, but it's not firing up - it'll probably be the solenoid on the GV that needs replacing.

htg

handywoman
Apprentice
Apprentice

Central Heating wont fire up

by handywoman » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:17 am

Good Morning HT engineer

Thanks for your reply.

The system is a pumped system, not gravity.

There is a timer, and in the downstairs living room there is a thermostat on the wall, I have tried turning this to very low and very high and this makes no differance..

There is power to the control unit which allows you to choose whether you want the water on onces, twice or all day, and the same with the hearing, the light for each of those options come on, but when you choose an otpion nothing happens.

If it is the solenoid, where is the solenoid and where is the gas valve? I look forward to hearing from you.

handywoman
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Central Heating wont fire up

by handywoman » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:20 pm

[quote="handywoman"]Good Morning HT engineer

Thanks for your reply.

There is a timer, and in the downstairs living room there is a thermostat on the wall, I have tried turning this to very low and very high and this makes no differance..

There is power to the control unit which allows you to choose whether you want the water on onces, twice or all day, and the same with the hearing, the light for each of those options come on, but when you choose an otpion nothing happens.

If it is the solenoid, where is the solenoid and where is the gas valve? I look forward to hearing from you.[/quote]

handywoman
Apprentice
Apprentice

fao htengineer

by handywoman » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:21 pm

Good Morning HT engineer

Thanks for your reply.

If it is the solenoid, where is the solenoid and where is the gas valve? I look forward to hearing from you.

handywoman
Apprentice
Apprentice

by handywoman » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:23 pm

Good Morning HT engineer

Thanks for your reply.

arkangel5
Labourer
Labourer

by arkangel5 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:35 am

Hi Handy

The gas vale (inc seleniod) is the large metal box the gas pipe leads into with the gas tap to turn the gas off.

I have the sam boiler and the same thing happend to mine. Turned out to be the selenoid.

easy to fit. it screws onto the front of the valve.

normaly retail about £80 I was told. Got mine from Ebay brand new £29 delivered.
I got an engineer to fit it and service the boiler. Now everything is fine

handywoman
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi Archangel - thanks for your advice

by handywoman » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:20 pm

Hi archangel, thanks for your advice.

My only problem is that I don't know what part number I need.

I also found one on EBAY last night but dont know if the part number is the right one.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards, Handywoman with no hot water

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1