Ceramic drainpipe in the floor near old fireplace
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
CJF
Labourer
Labourer

Ceramic drainpipe in the floor near old fireplace

by CJF » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:36 am

Hi, I've recently removed an old style brick fire surround. Must have been put in during the 1980's. So now I'm left with the original wall-flush chimney breast. The house in early 1960's and the remains of the old fireplace (back boiler and some ironwork) is still in place. But to one side of the old fireplace is a brown ceramic drainage piper about 6-8 inch diameter. Its only about 2-4 inches away from where the edge of the fire would have been. Its set into the concrete floor with the open end facing the chimney breast. In fact there is a small niche in the base of the chimney stack that accommodates the opening of the pipe although there is no evidence that the pipe continued up into the stack itself. It just ends in this little niche. The other end dives away at a shallow angle into the floor in the direction of the centre of the room. I cant tell if there is a long run of pipe under the floor. This pipe doesn't seem to be a conduit for gas pipes because the old gas inlet to the fireplace is clearly separate and off to one side.
I'm just wondering what it could be? The original soil pipe is at the rear of the house so it cant be that. Could it be something to do with ventilation?
I hope someone can help with this. I'd rather know what it is than just bury it and hope for the best.

Thanks in advance! CJF.

Fred c
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Ceramic drainpipe in the floor near old fireplace

by Fred c » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:31 pm

It is possible that this pipe was used to supply air to fire. This was a common enough practice in certain areas. You could trace route of pipe with electronic equipment. (Tool hire)

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:45 am