Ceramic Floor Tiles are creaking
Advice and information on tiling and fixing tiles to a variety of surfaces

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
PatK
Apprentice
Apprentice

Ceramic Floor Tiles are creaking

Post by PatK » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:40 am

Had my Kitchen Floor tiled a while back and over the last few months I've noticed that certain tiles creak when we stand on them. They are in same area (about 5 or 6 of them) and it is a heavily used area so I assume the adhesive beneath had failed. This obviously means to me that there is air beneath the tile, so I'm worried that they may break if something gets dropped on them.

Is there any advice someone can give me to try and rectify this problem without having to break up the tiles and reset.

Many thanks in advance

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by chris_on_tour2002 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:43 pm

sadly not. is it a wooden or concrete subfloor? if wooden then it could be that moving but it sounds as though whoever laid them just dabbed the adhesive in the corners rather than applying a uniform bed with a trowel. was flexible adhesive used? how was the adhesive applied as a notched or solid bed? if they are moving a lot then its a case of lifting them and relaying. unlikely that they will come out in one piece and without a fight.

PatK
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by PatK » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:36 pm

Thanks Chris,

It is a concrete sub floor which was latex levelled. Not sure about whether a flexible adhesive was used...sorry.

I believe the bed was notched not solid.

The tiles are not visibily moving, it's just that when you step on them they make a cracking sound.

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by chris_on_tour2002 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:16 pm

well a notched bed would be fine provided that it is consistent and across the whole tile and not dabbed. flexible adhesive not required on concrete so no problem there.

run your fingers over the tile and feel for a hairline crack. you would be able to feel a very slightly raised sharp edge. if you can then the tile is broken.

if its not a crack then it could be the levelling compound cracking underneath the tile. it isnt the most resillient material and breaks up quite easily, possibly an air pocket in that as its lifted allowing for slight movement.

other than that im at a loss without looking. if in doubt the remove the tile and replace if you have spares. tricky to do but not too difficult the hardest parts are a) breaking only the tiles that you intend to remove - dont be tempted to try and 'lever' the tiles up with a screw driver or similar as you will chip neighbouring tiles. b) removing the adhesive from the floor before reapplying and c) matching the colour of the grout.

good luck!

thedoctor

Post by thedoctor » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:05 am

There is no way a tiled floor can be stabilised without removal. The only way this can be done is for the tiles to be removed regardless of adhesive type, floor type, notched or flat bed, they have to come up. See the DIY projects section and look for the project on replacing a damaged brick, the principle is exactly the same.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:31 am