Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
corum_uk
Apprentice
Apprentice

Chaging Mixer Shower for new Bristan Frenzy and Advice on Removing old Nuts

by corum_uk » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:18 pm

Hi,

I'm attempting swap out my old mixer shower for a new Bristan Frenzy.
Upon trying to remove the old bar, i note the nuts slacken by turning clockwise, however the nuts on the new mixer bar will need to tighten by turning clockwise.

I can only assume that the existing nuts are part of the wall bracket and not the mixer unit? I didn't wan't to remove the old unit entirely in case whatever pipework is coming through the wall isn't fixed in place (e.g. flexible hose) and disappeared back through the wall upon removal.

Any advice gladly welcomed. Thanks.

I tried uploading several photo's but the sites restrictions on dimensions meant they are all too big, even on my cameras lowest setting. Dropbox link inserted instead.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x9s4tco7vpmr ... rTl2a?dl=0

Thanks.

corum_uk
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Chaging Mixer Shower for new Bristan Frenzy and Advice on Removing old Nuts

by corum_uk » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:07 pm

Well this 'simple' jobs turning into a bit of a nightmare.
Having had the plumber out it turns out the existing shower isn't a straight swap after all. Got the old unit off but couldn't cut the olives off the pipe as the nuts were covering them. The pipe protruding from the wall is also too short so even if we got the old fittings off the new one wouldn't fit. So our only option was to try and access the pipework. As I had no replacement tiles we had to cut an access panel in the landing wall only to find one of the pipes is lodged behind a vertical timber. So £40 and a hole in the wall later i'm still no closer to swapping out the shower.

My options now are to:
Find some matching tiles so we can go in through the bathroom wall
Have the shower boarded out at great cost to allow us to cut into the wall

So my preferred option is to try and find some matching tiles. As expected, the tile sizes are totally non standard, being 280mm or 11" square, so no luck so far in finding anything remotely similar.

If anyone has any tips on where to find tiles like these i'd be most grateful to hear about it.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ldok4emogv8n ... vE_ma?dl=0

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:30 am