Change internal layout after planning granted
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Crabbers
Labourer
Labourer

Change internal layout after planning granted

Post by Crabbers » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:22 pm

I bought some old outbuildings which come with planning permission for change of use to a 2 bed dwelling. Have to admit, I dont think much of the plans. I reckon that by changing a staircase position, moving a door opening and switching a kitchen with a bathroom, I can get three bedrooms in. Do I need to apply for a variation/new permission or can I get the shell of the finished project sorted (I've got no plans to alter any of the exterior), get it signed off and then make alterations to meet my plan. Not sure if this possible.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:36 pm

Crabbers,
don't think you will have a problem, but I would always contact the council and keep them informed of you intension. last thing you want is to spend time and money on a development only for things to be questioned later>
Regards
KB

matchmade
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by matchmade » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:04 pm

Hi, I would talk with Building Control in the first instance, not Planning, as they are generally more common-sensical and will advise if they think anything counts as a variation on the approved plans. If you're really not changing window or ventilation point or access doors, I think you should be OK to change the internal layout.

However, on second thoughts, if you add a bedroom this might get you into real trouble. Won't Planning have rules on the amount of parking you need to supply, and it will definitely change your Section 106 "contribution" (aka local tax) if your council operates this. Check the conditions on the planning permission carefully. In my area an upgrade from 2 to 3 bedrooms means at least one more dedicated parking space and a big leap in Section 106, as a 3-bed means the future occupants are likely to have secondary-school age children.

chriscxd
Labourer
Labourer

Post by chriscxd » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:37 pm

Crabbers,

I would be very interested to see how you get on with this as I want to do the same thing. It's been a year since we got planning permission and now we are near to starting the build we have decided that we want to split one big bedroom into two (partition wall) to make an additional room.

I would have though this would be ok since you wouldn't need permission for an internal change like this normally. As with you there are no external variations (windows etc). I was planning to ok it with the building regs guys when they first visit, but am not sure if this is the correct approach.

My concern is the parking issue. But there are many folks nearby doing loft extensions on terraced houses where there is no parking provision at all provided by their properties.

Be useful to get some feedback from anyone else out there who has some experience of this?

Cheers

Chris

matt h
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by matt h » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:39 am

ON THE SUBJECT OF PARKING PROVISION IT SEEMS DAFT THAT SOMEONE MAKING DUE ALTERATION TO THEIR PROPERTY HAS TO MAKE PROVISION WHEN THE AUTHORITIES OK NEW BUILDS WITH NO PROVISION...A CASE OF DO WHAT I SAY NOT WHAT I DO METHINKS :roll:

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1