Changing a 2 gang switch to a 3
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
donkeyoaty
Labourer
Labourer

Changing a 2 gang switch to a 3

Post by donkeyoaty » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:45 am

Hope someone can help.

I currently have a 2 gang switch in my kitchen

The first rocker switch is 2 way and is at the bottom of the stairs, for a light on the stairs (there is a second 2 way switch at the top)
The second rocker switch is a simple on off switch which controls 2 ceiling roses simultaneously in the kitchen

The wires into the back of this switch are as follows:

4 x 1.5mm cables

2 Way Switch....................
1 x Black, Brown, Grey & Earth
Brown into 2 gang L1
Black into 2 gang L2
Grey, with blue sleeve into choc block with all Blues
Earth into all earthed on box

1 x Brown, Blue & Earth
Brown into 2 gang Common
Blue & Earth as above

1 Way Switch.......................
1 x Brown, Blue & Earth
Brown into 1 gang L1
Blue & Earth as above

1 x Brown, Blue & Earth
Brown into 1 gang Common
Blue & Earth as above

(Hope thats clear!!)

Now hopefully ignoring the 2 way switch, which i need to leave as is.

I want to change the 2 gang switch into a 3 gang switch and control the 2 kitchen ceiling roses independently. (effectively moving the first rose elsewhere in the kitchen)

It appears there is just one cable going into the first ceiling rose and one cable out (both wired as live to live, neutral to neutral etc), stopping at the second rose, i.e a single cable in, none out.

That begs the question, if i junction box the cables into and out of rose 1 to get shot of that, where would my live feed come from should i run a new cable to the 3 gang switch from a new light position?
Could i just put a short link from L1 to L1 and wire the new cable from the Common to the light?

Hope i explained things Ok and i appreciate any help.

Cheers

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:21 pm

Hi,
I have read this and several other posts of yours regarding changes to your new house.
Altering wiring in a kitchen as has been pointed out by others is a controlled service governed by building regs Part-P.
I believe from the layout you describe you would not only have to safely
'link through' the first pair of cores but also install a second cable from switch to first light.
Not legal DIY unless LABC informed first and fee of around £150 paid!
You need a registered electrician to do this work !

donkeyoaty
Labourer
Labourer

Post by donkeyoaty » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:46 pm

[quote="sparx"]Hi,
I have read this and several other posts of yours regarding changes to your new house.
Altering wiring in a kitchen as has been pointed out by others is a controlled service governed by building regs Part-P.
I believe from the layout you describe you would not only have to safely
'link through' the first pair of cores but also install a second cable from switch to first light.
Not legal DIY unless LABC informed first and fee of around £150 paid!
You need a registered electrician to do this work ![/quote]

Hmmm not sure what "several other posts" you are referring to regarding changes to my new house - as there are NO others and this seems to imply I am an inexperienced DIY'er desperate for help!!!! Which i'm not!!!!
Job above is complete, overseen by an electrician friend, however if anyone else has the same issue in future, not in the kitchen!! Then the way I suggested it was done, was indeed correct.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:54 pm