Changing a 3 point light switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
toma1
Labourer
Labourer

Changing a 3 point light switch

by toma1 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:01 am

Hi, I have been upgrading a few light switches at home, and become confused when tackling the only 3 switch version I have. Basically - each of the three lights have 3 wires (i assume, live, neutral, earth) and each follows a logical 3 point connection in the new switch (numbered 1, 2 etc.).. but 1 of the switches is only connected to two of the points in the old switch?

My new switch - has three junctions per light, so I have tried to logically wire as was done before - leaving the same third light with only a two point connection (this may be unrelated to the actual problem i have here)

(I should note that the wires are unhelpfully not colour coded! and the old fitting had 4 wire points (two top / two bottom), I followed this pattern to my new 3 wire points)

At first all three worked - but now one of the lights does not work (other two are absolutely fine). There is another switch upstairs - which also now won't activate the same light...

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could have gone wrong? particularly as when i first tested it it seemed to be okay (the light in question is a chandelier so has numerous lights - so can't be the bulb!).

many thanks...

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:02 pm

I believe you assume wrongly!
It is very unusual to have neutrals at switch as you describe,
your terminology is difficult to follow & I think you are getting dangerously out of your depth.
The conductors you call neutrals are probably switch wires which have not been correctly marked , suggest 2 ccts. are two way switched & 3rd is one way,Get some one in!, please SPARX

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:38 pm