changing an electric oven

Postby Mike_S » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:58 pm

I have bought a 2nd hand oven as a stop gap as my old one has just died. The old oven was powered by a standard plug but the new oven looks like it has been previously fitted into a seperate cooker switch on a wall.

My kitchen doesnt have this type of fitting so would the oven be able to have a plug attached and put into a standard socket or do I need an electrician to fit a dedicated cooker switch?

If so, how much us this likely to cost?

Thanks for any info
Progress to next rank:

Simply Build It

Postby stoneyboy » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:15 am

You should have a cooker switch on the wall - the cost will depend on whether a new circuit will have to be provided.

Postby plumbbob » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:55 pm

You do mean oven not cooker? If it is a cooker with electric hob, it will need it's own dedicated supply as the hob part uses lots of kw. Double ovens often need their special supply from a cooker switch too, but not always. Single ovens can normally be run from a standard 13 amp plug.

If you open the front door of the oven, around the front edge (not the door) is usually a white sticker with the kw rating. A 13 amp plug will supply up to 3.0 kw or 3000wats.

Postby TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:38 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!