changing front door glazing
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mark3081
Labourer
Labourer

changing front door glazing

Post by mark3081 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:46 pm

Hi, i am thinking of changing the glazing on my wooden front door from two single panes to double glazed units, as this time of year they are constantly covered in condensation.
The thing is there is a limited amount of depth in the rebates. I have looked at various options, including shrinkable plastic film and perspex, but i would like a more permanent and professional appearance.
I realise it may be expensive, but i would be grateful for any information on this subject, particularly anybody who has either done this or considered it in the past.
Also what is the smallest section of channelling that is available for using between the glass panes.
Regards

gazzb
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by gazzb » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:08 pm

hi mark, the thinnest sealed unit would i believe be 12mm made up of 4mm glass 6mm spacer and 4mm glass, all glass needs to be toughened for doors and internal wants to be "K" glass you could go to a specalisted sealed unit manufacturer and ask them to make them up to your sizes.this shouldnt be to expensive. if the rebate it small try changing beading to smaller or sand down existing to suit if this works, hope this helps. fit new units with glazing strip available from same place ok

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:39 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:38 am