changing kitchen cabinet downlights
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
lemonmonkey
Labourer
Labourer

changing kitchen cabinet downlights

by lemonmonkey » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:27 am

Hi, I'm really sorry for the simple question but can anyone tell me how to change a kitchen cabinet downlight? They are not halogen and are the circular kind. i have managed to pop out the light bit from the surround but I cannot manage to open the part that seems to have a bulb in it. I have tried twisting it clockwise / anticlockwise and prising it with a screwdriver but no luck. Do I have to replace the whole part? Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thanks
LM

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:47 pm

If you have a look around the edge of the bulb in the fitting, there should be a semi-circular metal clip that fits in to the enclosure this holds the bulb, it should have two tails that you can nip together to free it or get a screwdriver to one side and it will spring out. Then the bulb will drop.
KB

moggy1968
Ganger
Ganger

by moggy1968 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:56 pm

the type desctibed by KB is the most common. It's not unknow for people to lose the ring and glue the bulb in!
other possibility is that the bulb is held in by a retaining ring which is flush fitting (it becomes the faceplate of the light), these can become very stiff with time. look to see if the bulb is slightly overlapped by the casing, if so it is probably this type.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:56 pm