Changing Level of Beam and Block Floors
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Rizwan
Labourer
Labourer

Changing Level of Beam and Block Floors

by Rizwan » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:08 am

I live in a two storey house constructed in 2001 which has suspended beam and block floors for ground and upper floors.

The house sits on sloping land and internally the house is split level with front third on one level and the rear two thirds 3 steps up (about 60cm).

I'm wondering weather it would be feasible to raise the floors (and ceilings) for the front third (ground floor and upper floor) so that both floors are on a single levels and have 3 external steps leading up to the front door.

Looking at how beam and block floors are constructed, it appears that they are totally integrated into the inner leaf of the side wall.

Does this mean totally rebuilding the front of the house or can it be done with less impact and in stages e.g . upper floor first then lower floor.

I realise the front windows and doors will also need adjusting. Also I'm planning to have a large loft extension, so the roof will need rebuilding anyway.

Thanks.

eeffttees
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Changing Level of Beam and Block Floors

by eeffttees » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:02 pm

I think the task you have in mind, is a bit over ambitious..!

Dealing with Beam and Block floors is no afternoon job, the weight of the concrete Beams alone may require a crane to lift them, Have you checked the weight of one of them Beams..?

Is there another layer of screed on top of the Beam and Block floors..to finish them ?

You might as well build a new house.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:20 pm