Changing old 2-way 2-Gang Light Switch for a new 2W/2G
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Strikeman
Labourer
Labourer

Changing old 2-way 2-Gang Light Switch for a new 2W/2G

Post by Strikeman » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:06 pm

Hi there!

I'm looking to replace all my old light switches with some new ones. I've managed to accomplish most switches but am a bit stuck with a 2-gang switch.

Essentially, the old switch seems to have a different configuration on the back vs. the new one I have bought. See attached picture for the old versus the new to see what I mean. Im a little confused as to what goes where on the new switch plate as theres seems to be 2 clearly defined switch modules on the new one, but just one big module on the old one

https://ibb.co/hdBhhR

The old configuration on the left is how its currently wired up

Hoping someone can help if possible!!

Skid Sprocket
Tradesman
Tradesman

Re: Changing old 2-way 2-Gang Light Switch for a new 2W/2G

Post by Skid Sprocket » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:49 pm

I think the single module and double module is just a manufacturers thing, a single module can be used to make up any number of gangs in a switch.

I assume the red, blue and yellow on the left in the left hand switch are in the same outer sheathed cable and the same with the other three colours.

The switching physically works by connecting the common to either L1 or L2 which depending on how the other 2way switch is set either completes the circuit or opens it.

In the new switch the wires in the same sheathed cable need to go into the same module ( yellow/C, red L1, blue L2. The other 2way switch at the other switch point will have an extra pair of red and blue in L1 and L2 only

I hope this makes sense.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Changing old 2-way 2-Gang Light Switch for a new 2W/2G

Post by Mr White » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:13 pm

been answered else where.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:04 pm