Changing the light fitting in my bathroom
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jon_W
Labourer
Labourer

Changing the light fitting in my bathroom

by Jon_W » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:18 pm

Hi
I'm trying to replace the old lightbulb in the bathroom with a nice new fitting with halogen spotlights. The new fitting has a brown live wire, a blue neutral wire and a green and yellow earth wire.

When I open up the ceiling rose in the old light, there's a small plastic wiring junction. I have drawn a diagram of this so hopefully someone might recognise what's going on and how I wire the new light fitting to this.

http://imagesocket.com/view/light_wiring144.jpg

So currently there are two black wires going into the plastic wiring junction from the ceiling, and coming out of the wiring junction in the corresponding positions are two brown wires, which go to the bulb. There are two red wires going into the wiring junction at the same hole, but they don't go to the bulb. There's two unsheathed wires going into the junction at the same hole, but they don't carry on down to the bulb. I assume they're earth wires.

I'm just not sure how I connect the new fitting with the regular blue, brown and green/yellow wires to this, and its not something I wanted to experiment with so I'd really appreciate some help.

Thanks in advance

ericmark

by ericmark » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:53 pm

Great drawing I know some bare copper wire but age limit to view it? In most cases getting black and red or new colours brown and black the wrong way around will not matter so the new lamp connects to center two and earth to earth of course the two reds will supply switch and you don't need to touch there are some instructions on the projects area and also my own http://www.ericpalmer.fsnet.co.uk/Images5/LIGHTS.JPG may help in explaining how it is wired

Jon_W
Labourer
Labourer

by Jon_W » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:25 pm

ok i'll give that a go as you say then. thanks very much (don't know why the picture asked for an age limit - strange)

Jon_W
Labourer
Labourer

by Jon_W » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:10 pm

Ouch, i'm getting it in the ear now from my girlfriend that the earth might not be an earth because its not got a green and yellow sheath. From what i've read, the earth isn't necessarily going to be sheathed, is this correct? I can't imagine its going to be anything else.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:30 pm