changing the title of a house/cottage
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
egr103
Labourer
Labourer

changing the title of a house/cottage

by egr103 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:30 pm

Hello,

I am currently being offered a nice little cottage to live in with my partner. We are in constant communication with the landlady regarding this place as at the moment is certified as a 'Holiday let only'. Obviously because we wish to live their permanently it needs to be changed to a 'Residential' certification.

The landlady has spoken to someone in a planning consultancy (she went to them so that they could aid her in filling out a planning application) but he rejected her flat, saying the council would NEVER approve of changing the status of the cottage.

Does anyone know if he can be correct or if this has happened before to anyone and what were the reasons for the rejection.

Is there anything that can be done to get the status of the cottage changed?

All advice is greatly appreciated.

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Sat May 12, 2007 12:02 pm

This "Letting status" is usually done because it has already undergone a "change of use" application. For example a farmer might convert one of his outhouses to a cottage for letting. The council may approve this because it helps the existing business but will not set a prescedent by changing the use again for residential. This could be abused by people with stables and other forms of building for which residential planning permission would be refused. These decisions are rarely reversed but its good to keep Councils on their toes and keep trying !

egr103
Labourer
Labourer

by egr103 » Mon May 14, 2007 11:18 am

Not the news i was looking for but at least i'm slowly getting some clarity regarding this awful ruling.

I suppose all i would like to know is if i apply once will i be able to apply again (if it gets accepted or rejected) and/or will it effect other planning applications related to this property?

I've also heard that people working on a farm or for the forestry commision have more rights above other people to live in the property (i.e. will be given permission). How does this work?

1 rule for them 1 rule for us!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1