Changing the use of a curcuit
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tcmichael
Labourer
Labourer

Changing the use of a curcuit

by tcmichael » Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:49 pm

I need some reassurance!!

I had an old house alarm which was wired into my CU. I ripped out the alarm and made the wire safe.

My new alarm is a wireless one that needs to be plugged in normally. To sort this - I just wired the wire into a new socker and seemed to work fine.

Is it ok to do this? It appears to be running into the ring circuit on my CU (two circuits through one fuse) and has worked for over a year now.

If this is fine - could I cut this wire in two, run it through a junction box - so I can run a new wire into a small walk in cupboard and install a light? To do this I'm expecting i'd need to run the wire through a fuse (5amp) to be on the safe side?

Grateful for any advice (and please tell me if im being too much of a diy-er!)

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:18 pm

HI tcmichael,
Don't quite understand what you mean that it is a plug in alarm but wired to new socket, have you wired it or just plugged it in?
As far as light addition you can use a switched fuse connection unit rated at 3amps, you will need to break in to the ring final circuit to do this, the ring to the socket-outlets must be maintained at all times.
I'd say breaking in to a circuit and extending or adding to it, is not DIY but not covered by part p unless in a special location. Have a look at part p projects on this site for more info.
What I will say is that the work on this circuit should have a minor works certificate, to prove it complies to BS7671, which is not a DIY job.
KB

tcmichael
Labourer
Labourer

by tcmichael » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:19 pm

[quote="kbrownie"]HI tcmichael,
Don't quite understand what you mean that it is a plug in alarm but wired to new socket, have you wired it or just plugged it in?
As far as light addition you can use a switched fuse connection unit rated at 3amps, you will need to break in to the ring final circuit to do this, the ring to the socket-outlets must be maintained at all times.
I'd say breaking in to a circuit and extending or adding to it, is not DIY but not covered by part p unless in a special location. Have a look at part p projects on this site for more info.
What I will say is that the work on this circuit should have a minor works certificate, to prove it complies to BS7671, which is not a DIY job.
KB[/quote]

Hi KB
Thanks for your help.

For the alarm - the old one was wired directly into my CU. I simply took the wire and wired it into a new socket, placed on the wall. I then plugged the new alarm into it.

For the new light - I've called my electrician out to come sort this for me. Just to ensure I'n not breaking part p regulations.

Another quick question - I have some outdoor lighting that was instaled by the previous owner - before part p came into force. In a nutshell, he's ran a wire (simple from a 13amp plug) into a switch (which is fused at 5amps) which then runs outside into two flood lights. The cable is certified outdoor cables - but should this really be plugged into an RCB socket?

If so I can buy and install under DIY?

Grateful for your help.

Michael

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:12 pm

hi tcmichael,
I have a problem understand what you mean,
the previous house owner, has taken a spur from a socket-outlet then connected a switched fused connection unit down rated to 5amps to connect some outside lights. Is that what you are trying to tell me?
If so, too right get either RCD or RCBO on circuit, if not ready RCD protected at CU.
If you install RCD or RCBO at CU could be part p as Electrical Installation Cert would be needed if RCD at socket could still be as not replacing like for like, talk to your sparky.
KB

tcmichael
Labourer
Labourer

by tcmichael » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:18 pm

[quote="kbrownie"]hi tcmichael,
I have a problem understand what you mean,
the previous house owner, has taken a spur from a socket-outlet then connected a switched fused connection unit down rated to 5amps to connect some outside lights. Is that what you are trying to tell me?
If so, too right get either RCD or RCBO on circuit, if not ready RCD protected at CU.
If you install RCD or RCBO at CU could be part p as Electrical Installation Cert would be needed if RCD at socket could still be as not replacing like for like, talk to your sparky.
KB[/quote]

Yeah - exactly right.

He's literally plugged into a kitchen socket - the wire runs in plastic tubing to a 5am fused switch which then runs outside to the lights.

Am I ok just plugging the plug into a RCB then into the socket - would this need to be certified?

Appreciate your advice :)

M

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:04 am

If these lights can only be plugged in that socket and no other, i'd replace the socket-outlet with one that has RCD protection. If it can be plugged in to any other outlet the circuit then needs some RCD protection either by RCD or RCBO.
IF you do the latter it will need a electrical installation cert, if you replace socket-outlet then minor works cert would be advised.
KB

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:57 pm