Chasing Electrics
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

11 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Russpeace
Apprentice
Apprentice

Chasing Electrics

by Russpeace » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:50 pm

Hi Everyone,

Fairly recently moved into my new house, and the electrics are distributed throughout via plastic 1 inch wide blocky conduits on the walls and ceilings. I'm hoping to chase these into the walls (1 room at a time!!), can anyone answer if this is notifiable under Part P of the building regs, and do I need to get a minor works certificate from an electrician? The reason I ask is because in essence it isn't a new installation - rather tifying up of existing.

Cheers in advance,

Russ

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:33 pm

Hi, gonna stick my neck out here and say that to chase in room by room wiring currently in mini-trunking is not reportable work.
Once started however any existing certificates will be voided,
if house sale likely soon then a PIR will be needed after work finished , before marketing house,
regards SPARX

Russpeace
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Russpeace » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:59 pm

Thanks for the reply - appreciate it. When I bought the house, I never saw anything in the way of warranties/certification - is this a new thing that's been bought in? PIR - that's not an acronym I'm familiar with - would you explain? House isn't likely to be sold any time soon!

Thanks a million,

Russ

moggy1968
Ganger
Ganger

by moggy1968 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:19 pm

periodic inspect6ion report. it isn't yet a legal requirement, but is likely to becomepart of the sellers pack in the future

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:37 am

Russ
PIR (Periodic Inspection Report)
Is used to report the condition of existing electrical installations within properties and should be carried out when a change of ownership, or occupancy or at a period of time that is recommend on previous certs or reports that have been issued.
KB

Russpeace
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Russpeace » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:49 pm

Guys,

Thanks for this, if I can return the favour [albeit unlikely] in respect of any civil/structural items, do let me know!

Thnaks again,

Russ

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:38 pm

[quote="Russpeace"]Guys,

Thanks for this, if I can return the favour [albeit unlikely] in respect of any civil/structural items, do let me know!

Thnaks again,

Russ[/quote]

That could be handy!
I'm thinking of ripping my chimney breast out and making lovely big room,
It's a downstairs room, is about 5 metres wide and the dividng wall carries and contains the chimney plus carries block wall upstairs and floor. aprox 600mm wide.
I assume it's a 2 RSJ job?
KB

Russpeace
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Russpeace » Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:20 am

Not sure what you mean by 600mm wide - the chminey/opening?
RSJ would be one way to go, although you might find that pre-cast, off-the-shelf concrete lintel would do it depending on the size of the opening, and weight of blockwork above. Assuming that the blockwork above is simply a partition (i.e. non load bearing), and therefore probably lightweight block, this might be a cheaper and cleaner solution - see naylor lintels "naylorlintels.co.uk"

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:35 pm

[quote="Russpeace"]Not sure what you mean by 600mm wide - the chminey/opening?
RSJ would be one way to go, although you might find that pre-cast, off-the-shelf concrete lintel would do it depending on the size of the opening, and weight of blockwork above.[/quote]

The total width of the wall that contains chimney is aprox 600mm, I want to pull the whole lot out. To make one big room.
So the remainder of the stack will need supporting and wall above (upstairs) this is a concrete block wall which I assume supports the loft floor/roof.

Russpeace
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Russpeace » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:31 pm

Crikey,

600mm thickness is huge! Are you sure that this is a uniform thickness - or is it just locally thickened at the stack - I suspect the latter, although it could be diaphragm wall construction, but this is unlikely. I guess the things to check would be to go into the loft and see if any of the joists are bearing onto the block wall, and likewise, check that he block wall is bearing onto the wall below (I assume it's brickwork, although 600mm thick brickwork sounds very thick). In the instance that the opening is going to be full width of the room 3.5m plus (i.e. long span) RSJ or a UB would be the way to go, although you'll need to leave short stubs of the existing wall for the steel to bear onto.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:46 pm

It's just around the chimney area wall about that wide for about 2metres, It's the fact that I'd be removing the lower level of the stack that I was thinking may two RSJs supporting front and back of stack above.

11 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:12 am