Checking for hidden wiring
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jaydee456
Apprentice
Apprentice

Checking for hidden wiring

Post by jaydee456 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:29 pm

Hi There
We have just had a new combination boiler installed so have a nice big cupboard where the tank was which I would like shelves put in. I have a feeling that there may well be cables there somewhere as the consumer unit is on the other side of the wall downstairs right below the cupboard. Probably the upstairs lighting cables may go up to the loft etc. The old immersion heater cable is definitely there coming oput of the wall halfway up. Can anyone recommend a reasonably price locator so we dont do any damage drilling for shelf batens.
Many thanks Jay

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:46 pm

I hung back hoping someone else would pick this up. The problem is one only tends to buy one so to compare is not something one can really do. And the price and functions vary so much from £8 - £9 to a few hundred. The CAT detector seems to be industrial standard but way out of your price range. Plus you don't need to detect a cable buried 3 feet down. But as with most things detecting where something you know exists is like cable running to switch is easy but to detect if there is anything there is a lot harder especially in the situation you relate to. You could detect 3 cables but miss a fourth as most allow you to set sensitivity to mask unwanted interference and so even with best detector you can buy you can still miss one. Sorry unable to complete

jaydee456
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by jaydee456 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:45 pm

[quote="ericmark"]so even with best detector you can buy you can still miss one. [/quote]

Thank you for the reply. Will try and get someone to do that bit for us who knows what they are about, :wink:

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:39 pm