chimney breast removal

Postby cerdyn » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:15 pm

I wish to remove the top half of a chimney breast in a victorian house. I am getting different advice so I would be grateful for info on what is required to secure the stack within the roof space. I intend using a qualified builder but as an experienced DIYer I am considering removing the brickwork myself once the stack is secure. Any advice on the above, particularly in relation to what should be done to secure the stack, or anything else I need to know would be garatefuly received.

Regards - Steve
Progress to next rank:

Simply Build It

Postby Perry525 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:57 pm

When you are on the roof and get up close to a chimney you realize just how big it is and how much those bricks weigh.
Should it fall down, in a minor earth quake, and the UK has more than most people realize, it will do a lot of damage and possibly kill someone.
Be safe take it down from the top,
Progress to next rank:

Postby TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:55 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!