Chipboard flooring
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
charlie58
Apprentice
Apprentice

Chipboard flooring

by charlie58 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:30 pm

I don't know if this is the correct forum for this but here goes. I have recently moved into a four year old house and have noticed that whenever anybody moves around upstairs there is a lot of noise from the floor, it sounds like the ceiling is cracking tho in reality it isn't. Is this because the builders have used sheets of chipboard for the floor as opposed to floorboards, or is it incorrectly installed. The builder was Harron homes (say no more) so it should all be built to the latest regulations eg joist size etc. Any advice? Also the stairs are very creaky, again any advice?
Thanks in advance.

Joiner_Mike
Ganger
Ganger

Your floor

by Joiner_Mike » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:59 pm

Not sure by the way you describe the cracking noise. The floor joists will be the correct size....No way will anyone be able to build new houses without a building inspector checking this. They have to, to pass the building so it can be sold.
If its a creaking noise like the stairs it may be the fack that the chipboard is nailed down. Squeeking noise on stairs and boards is normaly the noise of the wood rubbing against the smooth nail. Are you boards nailed down?
Try putting in some screws right next to where the nails are. Be careful you don't go though any pipes/cables. It is allot harder for the wood and fixing to rub against each other as screws have a thread not a smooth surface like a nail.

charlie58
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Your floor

by charlie58 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:54 pm

[quote="Joiner_Mike"]Not sure by the way you describe the cracking noise. The floor joists will be the correct size....No way will anyone be able to build new houses without a building inspector checking this. They have to, to pass the building so it can be sold.
If its a creaking noise like the stairs it may be the fack that the chipboard is nailed down. Squeeking noise on stairs and boards is normaly the noise of the wood rubbing against the smooth nail. Are you boards nailed down?
Try putting in some screws right next to where the nails are. Be careful you don't go though any pipes/cables. It is allot harder for the wood and fixing to rub against each other as screws have a thread not a smooth surface like a nail.[/quote]
Thanks for the reply joiner _ mike.
The noise on the upstairs floor sounds like a very loud sharp creak/crack. The boards are nailed down but seem to be very well nailed probably with a nail gun by the looks of it. I will try your suggestion about screwing the stairs down and see how i get on with that first before I risk the floor.
Regards Charlie

Favposi
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Favposi » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:42 pm

Also, when fitting chipwood flooring, there should be a small gap between each of the boards to allow for expansion and contraction. If they have expanded they can sauc the boards to rub together, which will eventually cause the boards to lift at the joints.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:37 pm