Choosing a new Combi - Stainless steel heat exchangers
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Glen Thomas
Labourer
Labourer

Choosing a new Combi - Stainless steel heat exchangers

by Glen Thomas » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:05 am

I have been told that many new combis have aluminium heat exchangers, but the quality manufacturers use stainless steel. Is it worth seeking a S/S model for extra long term reliability? And who to choose on this basis?
Glen

gisago
Apprentice
Apprentice

by gisago » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:05 pm

Hi, im no expert on the best boiler to get or wether stainless steel is any better than alluminium BUT we tend to fit Glow Worm boilers as our first choice. The reasons are they are easy to install, easy to set up, they were voted best buy in the which equivilent, they are reliable-most important as we dont get any call backs with any problems. Oh and they have stainless steel heat exchangers.
I must sound really biassed. We do also fit Vaillant and Worcester and others by request but its only my opinion as there hasnt been any yet.
Did this help?

thegasman
Apprentice
Apprentice

by thegasman » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:43 pm

mate under no circumstances install a glowworm boiler-they are fine for a year then they will give you nothing but trouble-they are,in my and many others(just google it) opinion absolute rubbish. Now as for the plate heat exchangers as long as when fitted it is properly flushed out and adequate precautionary measures are taken ie scale reducers and inhibitors you will have no problems at all. I personally only ever fit vaillant or worcester bosch boilers as with both of these manufacturers the quality is second to none, its the old saying you get what you pay for.

hamish72
Tradesman
Tradesman

by hamish72 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:11 pm

[quote="thegasman"]mate under no circumstances install a glowworm boiler-they are fine for a year then they will give you nothing but trouble-they are,in my and many others(just google it) opinion absolute rubbish. Now as for the plate heat exchangers as long as when fitted it is properly flushed out and adequate precautionary measures are taken ie scale reducers and inhibitors you will have no problems at all. I personally only ever fit vaillant or worcester bosch boilers as with both of these manufacturers the quality is second to none, its the old saying you get what you pay for.[/quote]

are not the main bits as in heat exchanger the same in glow and vailllant as they are the same maker

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1