All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Helen1955
Labourer
Labourer

Circlip on tap?

by Helen1955 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:04 am

Hi,
I want to change the O ring in a tap, but there is not nut to get the spindle out - there's a ring with two lugs side by side. The tap is the inlet for the cistern (Caroma). Is this a "circlip"? :oops: and what I remove to change the O ring and stop the drip from the top please? It has a phillips head screw which I removed, and removed the cover, but cannot work out how to get the spindle out as there is no nut! I can see the brass top HELP - I'm lost!
I need to be able to get the spindle out of the housing (ie out of the tap itself) then I should be OK. It's very frustrating seeing the spindle there and not being able to get it out to fix it!
Thanks very much,
Helen.

Stelf
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Stelf » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:13 pm

Hi Helen
Is this the stopcock which turns off the water supply to the cistern which you are talking about? If so this is not a tap in plumber speak, it is a stopcock and if it is playing up you can get new ones fairly cheaply at places like Wickes. Might be worth thinking of, as removing the body works from a stopcock can sometimes be very difficult.
Best wishes.

Helen1955
Labourer
Labourer

by Helen1955 » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:39 am

Hi Stelf,
That sounds right - I tried to get the corner piece off to sake to Bunnings (Australia), but haven't suceeded yet - I put WD40 on it and will try later.
There is a corner joint, with tap handle, and then a piece of pipe (which screws off separetely - at both ends), then plastic, that's the part I'm having problems unscrewing - I don't want to break it.
If anyone has any tips for unscrewing the plastic I'd be very greatful.
Thanks heaps,
Helen.

Stelf
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Stelf » Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:54 pm

Hi Helen
You really need to post a photo as it is difficult to understand exactly what the problem is otherwise and you may get wrong advice.
Best wishes

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:31 pm