Cleaning brickwork on scorched fireplace

Postby labealtaine » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:17 pm

I have a fireplace made of brick that has been quite badly scorched when a previous tenant in my house tried to light a fire and, apparently, got a bit carried away.

In addition the whole thing is built out of what appears to be reclaimed external bricks, so the brickwork on the whole thing is a bit grubby and needs cleaning.

I've tried getting the black soot off with a wire brush, but that doesn't seem to have done the trick, it's just made it look a bit smudged.

Does anyone have any suggestions for cleaning interior brickwork?

Progress to next rank:

Simply Build It

Postby stoneyboy » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:38 pm

The only way you might achieve a good degree of cleaning is to use a pressure washer - thoroughly soak the hearth first or the soot will soak into the hearth. You will need a wet vacuum cleaner and a second pair of hands, boots, gloves, heavy rain gear etc...

Postby TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:32 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!