Cleaning limescale from inside a bath mixer tap
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
trentsc
Labourer
Labourer

Cleaning limescale from inside a bath mixer tap

Post by trentsc » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:01 pm

A friend's bath has a mixer tap with a circular sliding collar which, when one slides it downwards, activates the shower head. Unfortunately, the slider has stopped working.

We're in a hard water area, so I think the problem might be that limescale has bunged up the mechanism. My challenge, however, is how to remove the limescale from the internal workings without removing the whole tap from the bath (the bolts are all rusted to hell and taking them off would probably mean replacing the taps and mountings).

Any ideas on an effective, simple way of achieving this?

Many thanks.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:44 pm

trentsc,
Try pouring distilled vinegar around the sliding collar and leave overnight. If this doesn't work the collar and mechanism can normally be removed from the tap with taking the tap off the bath. This you can then clean with acid or kilroc.
end

xo8o8ox
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Cleaning limescale from inside a bath mixer tap

Post by xo8o8ox » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:16 am

I had the same trouble but managed to pass a small alan key through the rod that stops the slider springing upwards. I then stretched a balloon over the fitting and cut off the end. Filled with malt vinegar overnight.
Worked the scale loose the next day with movement and washed off. (don't flush out through shower head - it will clog it up!)

p.s. NEVER buy taps (or light fittings) from B&Q. Nothing but trouble.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:51 pm