Cleaning Paint Brushes so That They Stay Soft?

Postby the2ems » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:33 am

Seems a simple thing, but I have started having problems cleaning paint brushes after using oil/solvent based paint. In the past I have always used white spirit, followed by warm running water and washing up liquid. But lately the bristles never seem to come clean. They always feel a bit "greasy" and when dry are quite stiff, so that I have to bend them back and forth to break them apart. But they never seem to be as soft and flexible as when new. Have they changed white spirit in some way so that it isn't so effective? Should I use a specific paint brush cleaner? I always thought this was just another way of getting more money out of the unwary.
I would be really grateful for any advice.

Cheers
the2ems

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby MrsDIYDigger » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:38 pm

I've recently started using acetone followed by olive oil, and that seems to be working well - you do have to repeat the steps a couple of times though.
MrsDIYDigger

Postby jazzer » Tue May 13, 2014 7:22 pm

How long are you leaving the brushes in white spirits?

I leave mine in over night then brush out on an old piece of timber until clean.
jazzer

Postby the2ems » Tue May 13, 2014 9:24 pm

I don't soak them. Just a good up and down in the spirit till it looks clean. Then soapy water.
the2ems

Postby jazzer » Thu May 15, 2014 6:45 am

the2ems wrote:I don't soak them. Just a good up and down in the spirit till it looks clean. Then soapy water.

Double check it is oil based, as I bought water based paint by mistake some time ago and then proceeded to use white spirit to clean them. That doesn't work.
jazzer

Sort by
Order by