Cleaning Pop-up Sink Waste Units
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Riverman
Labourer
Labourer

Cleaning Pop-up Sink Waste Units

by Riverman » Sat May 29, 2010 11:23 am

I have a new bathroom washbasin fitted with a pop-up waste plug. Cleaning is a problem, as scum and deposits build up between the "lid" and the "floor" of the outlet. I was wondering if the "lids" of these pop-up units are removable, either by unscrewing or prising off. I am reluctant to put either kind of pressure on it if it is not designed to do this. Thanks for any help.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun May 30, 2010 8:32 pm

Riverman,
Some bright spark came up with idea of putting a ring at the bottom of the pop-up plug so the actuating rod fitted into it. This makes the pop-up plug impossible to remove from above. Undo the actuating rod (behind the waste) partly retract the rod so you can then remove the pop-up and clean it. Refit the rod and drop in the pop-up - you will have to adjust the length so it seals again.
end

Riverman
Labourer
Labourer

by Riverman » Mon May 31, 2010 5:44 pm

Many thanks for the information. My mistake for not being clearer, as you have quite reasonably assumed I was talking about a pop-up waste controlled by a lever or knob with connecting rod. What I actually have is one of those spring-loaded jobs that works like a toggle switch. Push it down once and it's closed. Push it again, and it's open. Sorry for not making that clear.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:34 pm

Riverman,
With the spring loaded pop up wastes you should be able to unscrew the chrome cap and gain access to the inside of the waste.
end

Riverman
Labourer
Labourer

by Riverman » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:57 pm

Many thanks!

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

by TheDoctor4 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:48 pm

If you would like to find a reliable, insured and vetted tradesman in your area why not click through to the Find a Tradesman area of DIY Doctor: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/ , complete the form and receive up to 5 FREE quotes

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:01 pm