Cleaning rubbish from cavity walls
Information, help, tips and advice on cavity walls, ceilings and lofts etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
arif
Labourer
Labourer

Cleaning rubbish from cavity walls

by arif » Wed May 12, 2010 5:26 pm

Hi all,

There appears to be a lot of damp in our house, we got someone from Peter Cox to inspect the property and discovered that the main cause of damp is rising damp.

Few months earlier we were supposed to get our cavity walls insulated. The people who came to insulate the wall discovered lot of rubbish in the cavity and suggest to clear the rubbish which will hopefully get rid of the black mould marks inside the house.

My dad had a go at clearing the rubbish and there appears to be a lot of mud type rubbish. there are 3 things that he would like to know:

1 - How deep does he need to clean the cavity. Does he need to clean all the way down to the base or few inches below the ground?

2 - He damaged one of the DPC brick (to gain access to the cavity), can that be fixed?

3 - Somebody also told my dad that when he clears out all the rubbish then leave the walls for few months to dry up this way we wont have to get new damp proof course done. Is this true?

I would really appreciate your assistance.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun May 16, 2010 10:45 pm

arif,
"How deep does he need to clean the cavity. Does he need to clean all the way down to the base or few inches below the ground?" A FEW INCHES BELOW DPC LEVEL.
"He damaged one of the DPC brick (to gain access to the cavity), can that be fixed" IF YOU HAVE A BRICK DPC TRY TO USE THE SAME MORTAR MIX AS THE EXISTING.
"Somebody also told my dad that when he clears out all the rubbish then leave the walls for few months to dry up this way we wont have to get new damp proof course done. Is this true? YES BUT IT MAY BE 6 MONTHS +.
end

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

by TheDoctor4 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:21 pm

If you would like to find a reliable, insured and vetted tradesman in your area why not click through to the Find a Tradesman area of DIY Doctor: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/ , complete the form and receive up to 5 FREE quotes

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:52 pm