Cloakroom light wiring query
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Ozzie
Apprentice
Apprentice

Cloakroom light wiring query

by Ozzie » Mon May 05, 2008 11:35 am

Hi, I'm sure there will be many queries posted from me on here, but here's the first:

I'm going to be changing a light fixing in a downstairs loo. I have unscrewed the existing light fixing, and although theres only a few wires at the back of the existing fitting, I'm not too sure where they go in relation to the new one.

Theres two red wires twisted together, and in one connection, so I assume they stay together in the new light. The earth, again will go to the earth in the new light. Theres 2 black wires each in their own connections at the moment . . . . so what happens to these in the new light?? Keep them seperate?? Where does the second one go, and which one do I use?? Join them together?? Why weren't they together already??

Thanks, any help appreciated.

Ozzie

ericmark

by ericmark » Mon May 05, 2008 4:56 pm

One black wire is return from switch and should have a red sleeve and goes to brown of new fitting the other black wire is neutral and goes to blue wire of new fitting.

Ozzie
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Ozzie » Mon May 05, 2008 5:29 pm

Hi Ericmark,

Thanks for the reply, but theres no red sleeve, or any markings on the existing light fittings to give it away.

So how do I find out which one is the neutral and which one is the switch return? I know it sounds a bit crazy but if I put them the wrong way round surely it will just trip the fuse box, or work if I get lucky??

Cheers.

Ozzie

Ozzie
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Ozzie » Mon May 05, 2008 6:18 pm

Hi again,

I've just had another look at the wires etc, where does the earth wires from the ceiling go??

I'm thinking I need a sparky :0(

Oz

ericmark

by ericmark » Tue May 06, 2008 8:19 am

In real terms it would not matter which way around to two blacks went but of course would be better the correct way for later use. Earths normally go together but if a double insulated light fitting i.e. double square and no metal then does not connect to lamp. And yes if in dote get an electrician to do it.

stevenc1603
Ganger
Ganger

by stevenc1603 » Tue May 06, 2008 12:23 pm

Looking at your existing light fitting, what are the 2 black wires connected to? You should be able to see that one is connected to a brown wire and the other to a blue wire. Hopefully you can then just move these over to the new light fitting as is.

If you don't have an earth point on the new light fitting then you don't need to connect it up. Just tuck it out the way in a connector block so that it can't short out to anything by accident.

If in doubt do get a pro in. Always remember to be same. :)

Ozzie
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Ozzie » Tue May 06, 2008 4:02 pm

Hi again,

Basically its a bayonet light socket that fits tight against the ceiling, there is no flex at all. On the back of the fitting is three connections, no wires, two connections left and right have black wires going in to them from the mains/switch, the centre connection has two red wires going in to it, the earths are connected to a seperate screw connection on the base plate.

Evidently the tiler has a bit of electrical knowledge and he is due on thursday, so I will wait till then I think.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Ozzie

Ozzie
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Ozzie » Sat May 10, 2008 8:36 am

Hi again,

Just a quick update, the tiler did know a bit about electrics and either got lucky, or knew what he was doing, lights now working fine.

Thanks all

Ozzie

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:24 am