Close/bridge top of cavity walls? - New build
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Gadgetman Andy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Close/bridge top of cavity walls? - New build

Post by Gadgetman Andy » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:19 am

Hi all,

We are having an extension/conservatory built. The builder has now left site after completing the brickwork construction and gone on holiday. In the next two weeks the conservatory wll be built. The exterior walls will be rendered, when the builder returns.

In the mean time he has left open the tops of the wall cavities, and the insulation is visible below. Not wanting to introduce water into the cavities. Should I close/bridge the cavity perhaps with self adhesive flashband, which could be removed if need be? Or should the cavity be left open or closed?

Many thanks.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:43 pm

Gadgetman Andy,
Drape strips of sacking or something similar along the top of the wall and wait for the builder to return.
end

Gadgetman Andy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Gadgetman Andy » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:47 pm

[quote="stoneyboy"]Gadgetman Andy,
Drape strips of sacking or something similar along the top of the wall and wait for the builder to return.
end[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately before I checked for a reply I have sqirted in expanding foam, that has now cured and been cut off level with the top of the cavity. Was this a bad idea? I could easily pull it back out again if need be.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:29 pm

Gadgetman Andy,
Depends how far down the cavity the foam has expanded, it will have formed a nose down into the cavity which could cause water ingress from the external brickwork if it is an exposed location.
end

Gadgetman Andy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by Gadgetman Andy » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:25 pm

[quote="stoneyboy"]Gadgetman Andy,
Depends how far down the cavity the foam has expanded, it will have formed a nose down into the cavity which could cause water ingress from the external brickwork if it is an exposed location.
end[/quote]

Many thanks for the info.

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

Post by TheDoctor4 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:54 pm

Let DIY Doctor help you to find quotes from vetted and trusted tradesman local to your area. Visit our Find a Tradesman page: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:04 am