Close coupled toilet installation
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
JENSON
Labourer
Labourer

Close coupled toilet installation

by JENSON » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:00 pm

I have just had my toilet replaced with another close coupled toilet. I got a plumber to do it but it has been fitted two inches away from the wall. He said because of the existing pipework. Surely this cant be right. When I press down on the flush the cistern rocks as it has no support behind it. Should I complain?

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:51 pm

"Should I complain?"

Of course you should - what a BS excuse for not doing the job he's been paid for. If he hasn't been paid - don't just yet.

The soil and water supply pipework should have been adjusted to suit the new toilet and if that was impossible (which although highly unlikley isn't beyond the bounds of possibility) then he should not have even started to fit it without discussing the situation with you first.

If he can't / won't come back to sort out his mess then report him to trading standards.

Cheers

JENSON
Labourer
Labourer

by JENSON » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:49 am

He was paid 250 pounds. I was at work and someone dealt with it for me!
Ihave asked for it removed and a refund do we'll see but i will report him if he refuses. It was to replace a toilet that constantly leaked from the donut seal?? I think that as this one has no support for the cistern I will experience the same problem again very soon. Am I right?

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sun Mar 15, 2009 3:15 pm

Simple I know but why wasn't the donut just replaced?

I didn't ask how much you paid but even if that included the toilet it sounds OTT since there were no plumbing adjustments made either for waste or supply. Sounds like about 20 minutes work. Sort of thing that gets tradesmen a bad name. Wonder where he keeps his horse?

Cheers

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:28 pm

The only reason a cistern may have to be left away from the wall is if the soil pipe enters the room up through the floor and is too far away from the wall preventing the new toilet to be pushed back. This is usually after replacing a low level toilet (the one with the "L" shaped flush pipe.)

Seeing as you mention a close coupled, then you should have no problem.

The cistern must be supported. Not just to prevent leaks, but to prevent it from being tipped or knocked over.

I hope for £250, that included the price of the toilet too???

JENSON
Labourer
Labourer

by JENSON » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:17 pm

Its soon to be taken out! The cistern is already wobbling when you flush it and the seat is coming off. Thanks for all your help.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:31 am

"Its soon to be taken out! The cistern is already wobbling when you flush it and the seat is coming off."

In that case I think I'd be after this so-called plumber for my money back.

JENSON
Labourer
Labourer

by JENSON » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:35 pm

The plumber has taken the toilet back out and given me a full refund. Another toilet has been fitted (by someone else) so now i'm happy. Cant believe how much bigger the bathroom looks without a toilet in the middle of it!

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:57 pm

Result! Well done.

I suspect calling this guy a "plumber" though might just be considered an insult to plumbers. LoL.

Cheers

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:59 pm

Well, at least he was good enough to refund the money.

10 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:46 am