Closed Fireplace - Closed and Hearth Removed
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
matt2710
Labourer
Labourer

Closed Fireplace - Closed and Hearth Removed

Post by matt2710 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:01 pm

Hello all,

Have used this excellent site for research, but this is my first post.

I have a room with one outside wall, and on this wall is a chimney breast which has been closed in the past, but no air brick. I removed the hearth entirely as the builders laid the toes of the floorboards onto the brick surround which didn't have a DPC. Well it did if you consider the floorboards were nailed down onto roofing felt!!

I have removed the hearth and there is now a void from underfloor, up the chimney breast, to an air brick whichis roughly between the my property and the upstairs flat. Also the chimney stack is removed and is capped, but I can't see form ground level if there is a vent.

My question is, should I fit a vent and grill in the room above the skirting to allow airflow as condensation gathers on the face of the chimney breast?

Regards,
mattd.

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

Post by Perry525 » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:52 pm

The reason there is condensation on the brick wall is, that it is the coldest point in the room and all the water vapour in the room is condensing there.
I asume that you intend to join up the walls on either side to make a straight wall? When you do this you will have in effect a normal cavity wall and the inner wall will then be the same as elsewhere?

You do not mention if you have cavity walls?

matt2710
Labourer
Labourer

Post by matt2710 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:44 am

Apologies, not cavity walls. Lath and plaster onto solid brick.

The left hand side of the chimney breast has a window in the wall, the other side is plastered.

The radiator is under the window, yet the right hand side gets considerably damp.

Would the blocked in fire place benefit from an air vent??

Regards,
Matt2710.

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:36 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:31 am