All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
CHOPPER95
Labourer
Labourer

Coal fire - back bolier advice

by CHOPPER95 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:36 pm

Hi Folks,

I am looking for advice on a coal fired back boiler. I have just bought a property that contains a back bolier behind my coal fire and I like the advantages of having one, just a few queries on the safety of it.

All is working fine, the water feeds in, is pumped out when needed, I would just like some clarification for if there was ever a disruption to the system. In particular with the hard winters and the risk of broken pipes etc. If for example, a pipe breaks, would water drain altogether from the back boiler or flood the back bolier with cold water? And could it dry out or cause explosion because of breakage in pipework? Are there any safety mechanisms in place on the back boilers in the event of the pipework that leads in and out becoming broken? I don't have a lot of knowledge on back boliers so appreciate any advice.

Thanks

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:36 pm

Coal back boilers do not have any safety devices, they can burst/split but being cast iron they are very strong.

Basically if the heat-ex was split you'd get water seeping through, if you lost the water from the boiler via a pipe - the boiler is sturdy enough to take the heat. Any signs of corrosion ? get rid.
htg

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:32 pm