COAL FIREPLACE
Brickwork, drystone walling, render are a few subjects covered here. Click here to post questions and get answers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
paul4108
Labourer
Labourer

COAL FIREPLACE

by paul4108 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:27 pm

I live in a two up two down terraced property, and would like to install what would have been the original open fireplaces. The house was built in 1862 and had a fireplace in the lounge and a second in the front bedroom. Any help in finding the original types of fires and surround and some help on how to go about installing these would be a great help. At the moment the lounge has a gas fire, the bedroom has had the fireplace blocked up. Would the chimney stack need to be built up to its original height? obviously the chimneypots would need to be reinstated, help on type & style would be great. Is there any issues with planning or building regs departments. As I can't see behind the fire places at the moment what should I be looking for when I open them up? Any books or information of any kind would be welcome. thanks Paul.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:26 am

paul4108,
You need to carry out some local research yourself, see if any any of your neighbours have still got the original fireplaces/chimney pots. With a property so old you will almost certainly have to line the flues and you will need to get BR approval and planning approval if you are going to increase the height of the chimney especially if you are in a conservation area or have a listed building.
end

paul4108
Labourer
Labourer

FIRE PLACES

by paul4108 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:49 pm

THANKS STONEYBOY, ANY ADVICE ON TYPES OF FIREPLACES. SPENT HOURS ON WEB WITH NO RESULTS. WONDER IF ANYBODY LIVING IN VICTORIAN TWO UP TWO DOWN TERRACE HAVE COAL FIRES ANYMORE.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:27 pm

paul4108,
Yes they do, look for a cast iron surround and mantel, probably old crazed tile panels both sides with tiled hearth to match, cast iron hood and grate which fits into the surround.
Go to a local reclaim yard and see if they can help but it won't be cheap.
end

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:00 pm

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:47 pm