Cold Joint At Floor/Wall Leak - How To Seal
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
the_jinj
Labourer
Labourer

Cold Joint At Floor/Wall Leak - How To Seal

by the_jinj » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:34 am

Hi

After investigating a damp smell from a cupboard in my converted basement I found that there was water ingress from the wall area. Further investigation shows that a small trickle of water is penetrating at a small area where the concrete floor meets the wall as shown in the attached picture. The wall to left and above leak are not wet to the touch.

A local builder has had a look and quoted £875 to do the following, all exterior:
. Take back existing stone
. Cut back membrane around perimeter of ground level from slope to main back area
. Dig down past Dpc level
. Clean brick
. Seal brick
. Apply a water base cement to brick works
. Apply bitumen to walls
. Apply new membrane
. Place stone back to existing place (non contaminated )

However it has been suggested that it may be possible to flood the internal area with bitumen to provide an adequate seal. Anyone got any thoughts on this approach as it is obviously the much cheaper option. Maybe using something like this https://www.wickes.co.uk/invt/241217/?source=123_75

Cheers
Neil

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Cold Joint At Floor/Wall Leak - How To Seal

by welsh brickie » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:55 pm

I always use aquapruff buitumin sealant for jobs like this and have found it works well, Havent used wicks own brand but its a similar product

the_jinj
Labourer
Labourer

by the_jinj » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:08 am

welsh brickie wrote:I always use aquapruff buitumin sealant for jobs like this and have found it works well, Havent used wicks own brand but its a similar product

Thanks for the reply.
My worry would be that the dampness could rise, maybe above the bitumen? What are the chances of the brick being extensively damaged from the outside if I went down this route?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:15 pm

I cant really give you odds, it will either work or not, But in my opinion it should work

the_jinj
Labourer
Labourer

by the_jinj » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:51 am

welsh brickie wrote:I cant really give you odds, it will either work or not, But in my opinion it should work

So is it a common fix to seal with bitumen from the inside? Sorry if I'm repeating myself but unsure if you would apply it to both inside and out or if internal application would suffice?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:51 pm

internally should suffice, it works in basements as a tanking solution

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:09 am